- AGN (Seyferts, quasars)
- Star Forming Galaxies both in the local and distant Universe.
- Stellar populations in galaxies.
- Luminous and Ultraluminous Infrared Galaxies.
- The dusty torus of the AGN Unified Model.
Science groups of Infrared Instruments:
Photo courtesy of Rob Ivison.
- GATOS (Galaxy Activity, Torus and Outflow Survey): An infrared/submillimeter survey of a complete X-ray selected sample of nearby Seyfert galaxies. More information here: http://gatos.strw.leidenuniv.nl/
- Los Piratas: A mid-infrared survey of AGNs using CanariCam on the GTC. Observations include 100 hours of guaranteed time (Coordinator C. Packham) and 180 hours of an ESO/GTC large program (PI A. Alonso Herrero). https://sites.google.com/site/piratasrelatedpublications/ The paper with the published spectroscopic catalog -the largest AGN mid-IR spectroscopic survey conducted on a 10m telescope- of the ESO/GTC large program can be found here Alonso-Herrero et al. 2016, MNRAS, 455, 563.
- SHARDS: A medium-band optical survey of galaxies and AGN at intermediate redshifts using OSIRIS on the GTC http://guaix.fis.ucm.es/~pgperez/SHARDS/
- ARCHES: A European FP7 project to provide a multi-wavelength view of X-ray sources from the 3XMM catalog http://www.arches-fp7.eu
Favorite Clumpy Torus Models:
- CLUMPY developed by M. Nenkova and collaborators
- CAT3D developed by Sebastian Hönig and collaborators
Galaxy evolution studies with the SPace IR telescope for Cosmology and Astrophysics (SPICA): the power of IR spectroscopy: Spinogolio, et al. 2017, PASP, in press
Survival of the Obscuring Torus in the Most Powerful Active Galactic Nuclei: Mateos, Carrera, Barcons, Alonso-Herrero et al. 2017, ApJ, 841, L18
The dusty tori of nearby QSOs as constrained by high-resolution mid-IR observations: Martínez-Paredes, Aretxaga, Alonso-Herrero et al. 2017, MNRAS, 468, 2
The complex evolutionary paths of local infrared bright galaxies: a high-angular resolution mid-infrared view: Alonso-Herrero et al. 2016, MNRAS, 463, 2405
Mid-infrared imaging- and spectro-polarimetric subarcsecond observations of NGC 1068: López-Rodríguez et al., 2016, MNRAS, 458, 3851
ALMA Resolves the Torus of NGC 1068: Continuum and Molecular Line Emission: García-Burillo et al., 2016, ApJ, 823, L12