In support of activities related to the NIRSpec instrument on the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), a contract at the postdoctoral research level is offered at the Astrophysics Department of the Center for Astrobiology (CAB), in Madrid.
JWST is scheduled for launch in late 2018. One of its key instruments is NIRSpec, a multi-object and integral field spectrograph operating in the spectral range 0.6-5 micrometers. The Astrophysics Department at CAB is involved in activities related to NIRSpec Science Team and its associated GTO. In addition to the NIRSpec involvement, at CAB there is also a group participating in MIRI, the mid-infrared instrument for JWST. A close collaboration between researchers working with these two instruments exists at the technical and scientific level.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher willing to get involved in the scientific exploitation of JWST / NIRSpec. The successful applicant is expected to carry on a research program on extragalactic astronomy, and contribute to the preparations of NIRSpec observations for high-z galaxies, especially those based on integral field spectroscopy. These may include the definition, implementation, and execution of GTO programs, and the subsequent data analysis and interpretation. There will be the possibility to apply for joining the NIRSpec GTO team for specific subprograms (subject to candidate’s profile).
– Ph.D on Astrophysics or closely related field.
– Research experience in extragalactic astrophysics, preferably with high redshift galaxies.
– Experience with the analysis of spectroscopic data, ideally at near infrared wavelengths.
– Experience with integral field spectroscopy is desirable.
– Salary (gross) ranges 26,700 – 35,300 euros/year, depending on experience.
– Expected starting date: Fall 2016, and preferably no later than January 1st, 2017.
– The initial contract is for two years. Additional extensions will be based on available funding and performance.
– All candidates should hold the certification of the corresponding academic degree according to Spanish regulations, be nationals of the EU countries, or have a residence/working permit, if citizens of other countries.
Candidates should submit at arribas(+@cab.inta-csic.es) the CV and a Statement of Interest (two pages maximum) briefly describing the primary scientific interests, as well as the potential contribution to the NIRSpec observations preparation and exploitation. They should also arrange two letters of reference to be sent to the address above. Applications before 12th July 2016 will receive full consideration. For further inquiries please contact Santiago Arribas at the address above.