The Raman Laser Spectrometer (RLS) is one of the Pasteur Payload instruments onboard ExoMars 2018. It weighs ~ 2.3 kg.
The RLS Instrument will perform Raman spectroscopy on crushed powdered samples inside the Rover’s ALD (Analytical Laboratory Drawer).
The RLS Instrument is composed of the following units:
- SPU Spectrometer Unit
- iOH Internal Optical Head
- ICEU Instrument Control and Excitation Unit, including as well the Laser
- Others: Electrical & Harness harnesses, software and the calibration target.
- Laser excitation wavelength: 533 nm
- Irradiance on sample: 0.6 – 1.2 kW/cm2
- Spectral range: 150-3800cm-1
- Spectral resolution: 6 cm-1 lower spectral wavenumbers; 8 cm-1 long spectral wavenumbers
- Spectral accuracy: < 1 cm-1
- Spot size: 50 microns