The HARMONI Consortium for the Build Phase contract involves those institutes who articipated in the various Phase A Study started in 2007 and the subsequent Interim Design Studies and addition of LAM. These are based in the UK, France and Spain as described below. In some cases the Partner has enlisted the help of an ‘Associate Partner’ to work on specific parts of their workpackage(s).
- The University of Oxford (UOX) hosts the Principal Investigator and shares the main Project Management Team roles with the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC). These roles include the Project Scientist, Instrument Scientist, the Systems Engineer and Project Administrator. Their main product deliverables are the Spectrographs and Observer Support Software. RAL Space is an Associate Partner supporting the Spectrograph work.
- The UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC) hosts the Project Manager, the deputy Systems Engineer, the Product Assurance Manager and Lead Discipline Engineers for optical and mechanical engineering. It will host the IFS assembly and verification, and provide the Cryostat, the Instrument Rotator, IFS Cable wrap and the Instrument Support Structure. The UK ATC is currently responsible for the Focal Plane Relay system and NGS Support structure up to PDR.
- The University of Durham are Associate Partners working on the NGS sub-system and aspects of LTAO system analysis. Together the two UK Institutes form the Lead Technical Institute.
- The Centre de Recherche Astronomique de Lyon (CRAL) hosts the Software Systems Engineer aided by a Software Scientist as link to the science team and will provide the Instrument Software and Science Data Software sub-systems. They are using staff from Grenoble (IPAG) and Toulouse (IRAP) under the EFISOFT banner as Associate Partners for Instrument Control Software. They also provide the Integral Field Unit hardware.
- Delivery of the SCAO sub-system, the H-LTAO System Design and the Laser Guide Star Sensor hardware is being led by the Laboratoire Astrophysique, Marseille (LAM) in France with the Office National d’Etudes et de Recherches Aérospatiales (ONERA) and IPAG as Associate partners for AO and High Contrast work respectively. They provide the AO Scientist and the AO Systems Engineer. (IPAG being an Associate Partner of two Institutes arises from the later High Contrast work being more in attune with the SCAO work at LAM)
- The Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC) provide the Lead Discipline Engineer for electronics. The main product deliverables of the IAC to the HARMONI Consortium are the Pre-optics sub-system and the Instrument Control Electronics.
- The Centro de Astrobiologia (CAB) hosts the Calibration Scientist and are responsible for the Calibration and Secondary Guiding sub-systems. CAB is a joint institute of the Spanish Research Council, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) and INTA (Spanish National Insttitute of Aerospace Technology).
- The Detector Group of the European Southern Observatory (ESO) provide all the Science Detectors and associated Controllers and cabling.